Monday, September 10, 2012

Halloween Wall/Door Hanger

Since Halloween is quickly upon us, I decided that now was the perfect time to think about doing some cool easy decor things around the house. I ran across this idea, and made it my own. The idea came from a post on Obsessivelycrafting.com and boy is it a CUTE idea.

This was fairly easy and didn't take a whole lot of time, which is MY kind of craft. I'm all about quick, easy, and CUTE! This craft can be altered to any character you'd like to use. I chose a ghost, vampire, Frankenstein, and a mummy.

What you'll need:
  • Foam Sheets  You could use pretty much anything that is sturdy in place of the foam sheets, this is just what I had on hand, and it worked nicely since it was fairly sturdy and lightweight.
  • Construction Paper
  • Scissors
  • Glue
  • Glue Gun
  • Ribbon
  • Mod Podge (Optional)
 
Now typically this kind of craft I'd do with my little, but today he just wasn't feeling it, so I did it alone. That was actually fine with me because I ended up getting it done A LOT sooner than I expected.
 
So, first things first, the foam sheets I had were odd shaped but ended up working pretty well. Just cut your foam sheets or whatever backing you choose to use to the size you want. I did a 4X4 size because that's what fit in between the window panels on my front door. Then cut your paper to fit the backing.
 
This is my foam backing
 
Foam backing with the construction paper
 
Ok, with me? Now that you have your paper cut to size, glue it to the backing. I used a stick glue, but it didn't stick that great. I'd probably recommend Eileens tacky glue. (gold bottle, white writing, pretty cheap, most craft stores)
 
Now this step is pretty much up to you. You can design which ever character to look how you'd like it. Cut out eyes, mouth, eye brows, teeth, whatever you like. Here's my take. :)
 
Frank is coming along
 
And waaalaaa
 
Here's the final four!
 
After you are done with your designing, you'll need to cut some ribbon to length. Then line up your faces, and hot glue the ribbon to the back for hanging. I centered them the best I could and it ended up being just a touch off, so be careful in this step to get it how you want before your finalize with the glue. 
 
 
After that this is the step where you can Mod Podge if this will be hanging on the outside of your front door or somewhere that will be exposed to the outdoors.
 
 
 
 
Now you can sit back and bask in the glory of all your hard work! This is really easy, and getting the kids involved would be awesome. Let them design their own characters and display them in the house for the holiday!
 
 
 
Happy Crafting


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your version. The mummy is adorable!!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It was way easier than I thought it was going to be! :)

    ReplyDelete